On The Nature of Education

 1. I've never been the biggest fan of homeschooling. I understand while a lot of parents do it, but it's just not for me. I feel like one of the biggest reasons to go to school isn't the education itself, but the social aspect of it all. I think it's so much easier to make friends at an actual school rather than it would be if you were homeschooled. I also feel like you won't be able to solve problems as well if you're not exposed to the real world at least a small bit. (This sounds very harsh, but I feel like if you're not bullied once in your life, you won't know how to deal with conflict properly when you're eventually by yourself. Again, I am not saying I want kids to be bullied! I've just seen some kids overly coddled by their parents when they're in homeschool)

2. Meghan's mom believed that her daughter learned a lot about the health care system when she spent four days in the hospital getting her appendix taken out. She also thinks Meghan learned a lot about sex education since she lived on a farm and tended to sheep, who were going to breed. Needless to say, most of Meghan's mom's "delight-directed integrated study" was literal day-to-day occurrences instead of actual lessons. 

3. I think she compares homeschooling to the enlightenment era because she was being taught in a completely "old-fashioned way" then other kids were and the stuff she was being taught were much more, grounded maybe? I don't know, this one kind of confused me. 

4. She didn't rule out that his isolation caused his actions, but she thought the idea that he was radicalized was hysterical. She goes on to say that her mom said that people fear homeschoolers because they weren't as free as they were. 

5. When she was homeschooled, O'Gieblyn felt free and felt that she could do a lot more of her own thing, but once she entered high school, that's when she first experienced "the ache of seclusion and personal failure

6. I think she critiqued the memoir because she didn't like the way they made homeschool look, considering that's how she grew up. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reading Journal for Station Eleven/Utopia

Deep Dive into Station Eleven Part 3

Generating Ideas - What sort of review would I like to write?